Friday, October 30, 2009

I'm 21 years old..

I'm 21 years old. And I am ashamed. Ashamed of being a part of this world. Ashamed of my people. Ashamed to face the fact that those who teach me the difference between right and wrong themselves don't know what they are talking about. Ashamed to see the sun set down every single day and still the world doesn't change. Ashamed of waking up in the morning and genuflecting in front of the almighty in hope for a better world, in hope of a better life, in hope of more love amongst us. Ashamed to know the fact that I'm successful in my young life only because I was lucky enough to have a 'good' education, lucky enough to be born the way I was, lucky to have grown up under a safe shelter, lucky to have access to more than 3 meals a day.

I'm ashamed to know that I'm only one of the 6 billion grains of sand on this beach we call earth, yet I have never learned to feel at one with all. Is it because I was never taught this way? Is it because of the paradigm shift in the education I received throughout my life, which slowly changed from learning what's 'right' to learning what's 'right for you' ? Or is it because the world around me is just too ignorant to look at the the fact that there are ever-increasing problems that surround us and yet we go to sleep every night and pray to God to make our 'own' lives better. Pray to make our 'own' day better tomorrow. Pray for getting a good Job. Pray for getting rich. Pray for being famous.

I'm 21 years old an I am ashamed. Will we ever realize that the wars we wage are only a part of the vicious cycle of rage and resentment that keps on increasing every day? Will we ever realize that our brothers and sisters are out there who are dying of hunger and poverty and epidemics and illiteracy? Will we ever see beyond the bounds of our petty lives and differences that we ourselves have created amongst each other? Will we ever learn? Will we 'ever' learn?

Or is that too much to ask for?

3 comments:

  1. its gr8 2 c that u hv penned such truth.. and this to at such a young age when people ur age think of getting a good job and earning a good package and all the selfish things that can come into my mind.

    keep it up Piklu... let your heart speak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog;and hey, appreciate it, but instead of cribbing about it, wouldn't you rather do something about it?Good that you are leading a blessed life..now its your turn to make a change in someone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gitanjali..Thanks a lot for your response to my blog... :) Almost everything that I've done in my life started off as a crib only ..I'm sure I'll do something about it very soon. It's important to talk about it first. The only reason I blog out my crib is because I want other people to also start cribbing and eventually do something about it :)..

    ReplyDelete